Dotcom-Monitor frequently works with DevOps teams to ensure quality (uptime, performance, & functionality) across development of public facing web based applications. As such, we are excited to see another great State of DevOps Survey Report from our friends at Puppet Labs.
2013 State of DevOps Survey Report
Puppet Labs surveyed over 4000 IT Operations and Development professionals and found that DevOps adoption is accelerating across organizations of all sizes. Organizations that have implemented DevOps practices are up to five times more likely to be high-performing than those that have not, and the more mature the DevOps implementation, the better their performance.
The infographic below shows the key findings of the Puppet Labs 2013 State of DevOps Survey:
2013 State of DevOps Infographic | Puppet Labs 2013 State of Devops Infographic
Embed 2013 State of DevOps Infographic on Your Site: Copy and Paste the Code Below
2013 State of DevOps Infographic – An infographic by the team at 2013 State of Devops Infographic
- DevOps adoption is accelerating. Sixty-three percent of respondents have implemented DevOps practices, compared to 50 percent in 2011—a 26 percent increase in DevOps adoption rate.
- DevOps offers increased agility and reliability. Respondents from organizations that had implemented DevOps reported benefits in staggering numbers: More frequent software releases and improved software deployment quality were both reported by 63 percent. Beyond directly reporting benefits, these respondents were five times more likely to be part of a high-performing organization.
- High-performing organizations enabled by DevOps deploy code 30 times more frequently than their peers. These organizations are deploying several times a day instead of once a month, and completing those deployments 8,000 times faster.
- High-performing organizations enabled by DevOps have 50 percent fewer failures. Respondents from these organizations reported double the change success rate of their peers, and reported restoring service 12 times faster.
- Demand for DevOps skills continues to grow. Job listings for “DevOps” are up by 75 percent, and those hiring for DevOps positions are primarily looking for coding/scripting abilities and people skills.
- Download the 2013 State of DevOps Report
- Join the 2013 State of DevOps webinar on March 28
- Behind the DevOps Survey: Methodology and Early Results
- Read the press release
- Learn more about DevOps and read the DevOps blog series
DevOps is a software development method that stresses communication, collaboration and integration between software developers and IT pros. For a brief history on DevOps, checkout this video by Damon Edwards of DTO Solutions.